Clothing choice is very important for
headshots, especially black-and-white headshots. The key is to maximize
contrast between your hair color, clothing color, and background color.
Good clothing styles:
- sweaters with texture (like ribbed or chain stitch)
- shirt/blouse with a collar (but be careful of wrinkles)
- long sleeves
Avoid clothing styles:
- low cut tops (not good for close cropping)
- crew neck (not as flattering)
- stripes and busy patterns (these steal the attention from your
- short sleeves (arms steal the attention from your face)
- turtlenecks (sometimes these can work, but always bring 2-3 more
Clothing color for dark hair:
- you want something that will contrast with your hair but not be
too light, so it's best to stick with medium green, medium blue, or
gray. Avoid white and black.
Clothing color for light brown or red hair:
- best choices are black, medium to dark green, and medium to dark
blue and medium gray. Avoid white.
Clothing color for blonde hair:
- best choices are medium green, medium blue, or medium gray. Avoid
white and black.
Clothing color for bald/shaved heads:
Use the same guidelines as blonde.
Clothing color for short hair (off the shoulder):
Use guidelines above, but you can also bring something black or